Medical Marijuana: Common Questions

  1. How do I know if my condition qualifies me for medical marijuana?

    Severe chronic pain, nausea, or seizures may allow you to obtain a medical marijuana card if these conditions interfere with your daily activities - working, sleep, leisure activities, family interaction. We will need medical records: chart notes from doctor visits within the last three years pertaining to your qualifying condition. These would reflect your name, a doctor's name, and notes about the condition. They can be from different doctors, and may include specialists or emergency room visits.

    Qualifying conditions for which we need a diagnosis with your name and your doctor's name are:

    • Agitation of Alzheimer's disease
    • Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS)
    • Arthritis
    • Autism
    • Cachexia or Wasting Syndrome
    • Cancer
    • Chronic Pain
    • Crohn's Disease
    • Glaucoma
    • Hepatitis C
    • HIV/AIDS
    • Inflammatory Bowel Disease
    • Nail Patella
    • Obsessive Compulsive Disorder
    • Parkinson’s
    • Persistent muscle spasms
    • PTSD (Approved March 2014)
    • Rheumatoid Arthritis
    • Seizures
    • Severe chronic pain
    • Severe nausea
    • Spinal cord injury
    • Tourette’s Syndrome
    • Ulcerative colitis
    • Cerebral Palsy

  2. What if I don't have a regular doctor or medical records?

    Dr. Crocker sees patients with a range of qualifying conditions, but does not diagnose your condition. Therefore, we require medical records from the patient so he may affirm to the state that the patient has a current, chronic condition.

    The medical records should include chart notes or progress notes from doctor visits within the last three years. These include your name, doctor's name, and doctor's written comments about your qualifying condition. They can be from different doctors, and may include specialists or emergency room visits.

    We regret we cannot offer primary care to manage your other medical needs.

  3. How long does the certification process take?

    The State of Michigan may take 4 to 6 weeks to send your card, but you are legal to possess medical marijuana 21 days from the date the state receives your application and cashes your payment.

    If you don't have your card after 8 weeks, call the MMMP at 517-284-6400.

  4. How do I renew my Michigan medical marijuana card?

    As with certification, renewing is a two-step process: recertification with the doctor, and reapplication to the state. We offer renewal exams at any of our locations for $150 if you are a returning patient. The fee for patients renewing with us for the first time is $200. Please click on a location using the pull-down menu at the top right corner of this page to see our schedule for the clinic nearest you.

    If you are new to our practice, we need your paperwork from your previous certification, and medical records pertaining to your qualifying condition. Please call us with your questions, or to make an appointment: 855-420-8100.

  5. How much does getting a MMMP card cost?

    The doctor's fee for a first-time certification is $200. We require medical records: chart notes from three to five recent visits to a doctor regarding your qualifying condition. Records should be current, within the last three years. These would reflect your name, a doctor's name, and notes about the condition. They can be from different doctors, and may include specialists or emergency room visits.

    If you have limited medical records, please ask about tracking your symptoms with our Pain & Symptom Management Log, available on our Forms page. However, limited medical records, even accompanied by a pain log, may not be sufficient documentation to be certified.

    The state of Michigan charges a $60 patient registration fee and a $25 caregiver fee (if applicable) with each submitted application.

  6. What is your payment policy?

    We accept cash, debit card, and money order in our Kalamazoo office only. We cannot accept any card payments in our Grand Rapids or Battle Creek locations. Full payment is due on the day of the appointment.

  7. Do you make house calls?

    We understand that some patients may be unable to travel. Under special circumstances, a house call is possible for patients in extreme need. Please contact us and describe your situation.

  8. What if I have marijuana-related legal issues pending?

    We respectfully ask that you resolve any outstanding marijuana-related legal issues before seeking endorsement through our clinic. For assistance, we recommend Attorney Dan Grow (800-957-1069) or Attorney Scott Wagenaar (269-501-2466).

  9. Who is a typical patient?

    We see adults from all social and economic groups, who suffer from a degenerative condition, are recovering from a debilitating injury or major surgery, or from decades of hard physical work. Many are veterans or senior citizens, and all have tried traditional medicine. Some have had bad experiences with prescription pain medications or anti-inflammatory drugs. Others have no insurance to cover prescription costs.

    We make it a practice to discourage our younger citizens from seeking medical marijuana endorsements without clearly documented and demonstrable severe and chronic disease.